Wednesday 25 April 2012

The first rule of weeklyblogclub...

You may have noticed a dramatic increase in the posting rate of this blog recently. I've gone from about every four weeks to once a week. The blame for this rests squarely with one Janet Davis - the evil mastermind behind weeklyblogclub. I'd witnessed the birth of the club on Twitter a few months ago and was watching developments with interest. But I made a point of keeping my virtual head down, as I really wasn't sure I wanted to commit to blogging once a week.

However, one fateful day, Janet just came straight out and asked me if I wanted to join...what could I do? Well, I suppose I could have said no...I tried to, I did...but Janet is a persuasive woman...so I eventually found myself agreeing.

And, so far so good. I've managed to find something to talk about - and more crucially the time to write about it - for a few weeks now (apart from last week, but I wasn't well). This is partly just down to timing, as I'm up to all sorts at the moment. What happens when it all dries up, I don't know. And I do worry that the quality of my posting will suffer (and there's not much leeway there as it is!).

Still, I've banged on before about getting more public sector people blogging and something like weeklyblogclub is a grand way to do it. And I'm in really good company - which may well help me raise my blogging game.

So, if you feel that you could be doing with some encouragement to get (or keep) your blog on, there's no joining fee or registration process. Just follow the instructions and blog away! If you're not quite ready to blog yourself, check out the site for brilliant bloggage on a weekly basis.

PS. As far as I know, there isn't a 'first rule of weeklyblogclub'. But I'm pretty sure that, if there were, it wouldn't be 'don't talk about weeklyblogclub'!

6 comments:

Tim Lloyd said...

Good for you. I reckon I need to join in something like this, to give myself a deadline and be more consistent about how often I blog.
I noticed on the weekly blog site that participants are encouraged to rate and comment on each other's posts - how had this worked for you?

Unknown said...

Thanks Tim

It helps that Janet is one of the nicest people I know - missing a week's post feels like I am letting her down personally :)

I have rated and commented on some of the other clubbers posts (it's consistently quaility stuff) but I must admit I don't get time to read them all every week. And I haven't had much in the way of comments received from other bloggers in the club - but then I'm a fairly new member.

Come and join us!

Dan Slee said...

Do it, Tim! Do it, do it!

An informal weekly deadline with a Walsall blogger is how I got going in the first place.

One of the unexpected spin offs of #weeklyblog club is that it's like an ever refreshing Sunday Supplement. Interesting and engaging writing on a whole range of subjects.

Unknown said...

Nothing like a bit of peer pressure... :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of #weeklyblogclub and was delighted when you joined. Like you, I don't always get time to read all the posts every week, and I fail to post every now and then as well.

I agree with Dan about the Sunday Supplement - I too enjoy a good read on a Sunday morning.

Janet E Davis said...

Thank you very much for your very kind words, Lesley!
It's unfortunate that Blogger does not have a simple 'Like' button such as WordPress and Posterous have, so there isn't a really quick and simple feedback. The difficult captchas that Blogger presents are a bit off-putting (I've used Blogger for blogging myself). But even with 'Likes' not many click.
Lesley, I've been called a few things over the years, but this is the first time anyone has called me an Evil Mastermind. I have been browsing online estate agents to look for an Evil Mastermind's Lair. Sadly, I lack an Evil Mastermind's income or capital, so I may have to stay put.

Tim Lloyd - do consider joining us. I do try to encourage positive responses to posts.